Wednesday 23 April 2014

Travelling to Europe 101

I've found myself travelling alot recently and I kinda love the feeling of being able to explore new cities. For fun, for family or just travelling alone. Everytime I travel somewhere,I will always learn something new along the way that I can keep in mind for my next trip. There's always room for a tip or two and I would like to share it with all of you! Some may be what you have already known or new to you but most of the things listed are what I have learnt from my recent travels. Its my 2nd time visiting Europe so you have to trust me.
From safety, saving time, saving money I hope these tips will do you good if you intend to travel to Europe.

First of all, for those who have not been to Europe before. You have to understand as a Singaporean, you are WAY TOO pampered/sheltered . Many of the Singaporeans take our country's safety and services whatsoever, for granted.. They just complain, complain and COMPLAIN. Every thing is different when you are out of this little red dot.


1)PACK LIGHT
Waiting for the train in Paris
ONE BIG MISTAKE I did this recent trip was that I packed too much. Too much clothes that I didn't even manage to wear throughout my entire 1 month stay there. It was still winter in Norway so I had my coats, sweaters and jeans with me to keep me warm. Whereas, when I moved down to Germany and Paris, it was Spring! Temperatures get way warmer and you could wear a shirt with a coat pullover.



The thing is... when you venture to cooler places, you don't perspire/sweat = your clothes don't stink = don't have to wash them = re-wear a couple of times. That's what I did. After coming back from a long day of exploring, I would air my clothes and wear them for another day or so before I send it to washing. BTW, laundry is expensive there too. 3 euros for washing and 1.50 euros for the dryer.
Besides, ITS NEVER FUN to dig out stuffs at the airport to make sure your luggage pass the check in limit.
I had my huge grey luggage and small cabin size luggage in grey with me throughout the entire trip.
Can you imagine I dragged all these BY MYSELF to the airport, train station, hostel, bus stop when I was travelling alone in Germany. I gave myself a pat on back on this solo trip. I just couldn't resist NOT shopping in Germany, thats why I brought extra luggage. Heh

Some German guys were such gentlemen, they offered help to carry my luggage off the train for me. There was this man who joked when he lifted my bag, "Oh! I thought it was gonna be heavier than this!"
Obviously, it made my day . The fact that Germany is quite a developed country with lifts/escalators everywhere, it wasn't much of a problem but when you go to France.........Man... Its gonna be a pain in the ass lugging your luggages because they only have STEPS in the train stations. Good luck.

2) Always use sites like airbnb, hostelbookers, hostelworld, couchsurfing, tripadvisor,rome2rio

Female dorm in Munich

My bed in Cologne

Before embarking on your adventure, DO RESEARCH! Read on places to go, latest reviews on different tourist attractions. These will help you have a gauge on how much you have to bring in hand. I usually rely on tripadvisor ALOT. The reviews are really helpful and it saves alot of your time searching for the place when you're over at the city itself.

For accommodation wise, if you're travelling alone, sites like couchsurfing offer you FREE lodging for a night or two. If you're intending to stay in a city for maybe a week or so, hostelbookers has a whole lot of hostels at affordable prices for you to choose from. A bed could cost just $20SGD per night or less. NO KIDDING. I mean if you prefer a hotel then be prepared to spend like x10 more than a hostel. Who needs someone to make a bed and clean up the room for you EVERYDAY anyway? I usually hate it when staffs make my bed and clean my hotel room when I stay there.
These sites will have latest reviews that you can read up on and I will always book places which has the most good reviews.

As a group, sometimes its cheaper to book through airbnb. After splitting the cost with your group of friends, it may just cost about $40SGD per night. Considering its more expensive but you get your own space, kitchen and just be with your friends the entire stay.

I love staying in hostels because I get to meet alot of new friends from around the world. Some hostels even have a cafe or bar which allows you to chill or interact with other mates staying in the hostel itself! Often, I will book a bed in the 6 bed female dorm with a ensuite toilet which means the toilet is in the room itself . Shared bathroom will be a centralized bathroom at the level you're staying at but you have to take your toiletries in and out whenever you are done. Of course, it will be cheaper by maybe 2-5 euros if you take a bed with shared bathroom. Some hostel stay will include a complimentary basic breakfast in the morning where they serve bread, cereal, ham. Very basic food but all I can say is when there is free breakfast, EAT!
You never know how long it can last you and how much money you can save by not eating breakfast outside.

Rome2rio basically helps you to find your route from one city to another. It gives you a few multi modal routes and states the price estimation (usually its cheaper if you book everything directly). Use this web as a guide to plan your journey.

3) FREE TOURS and maps
Yea, you know you can't say NO to free stuff. What's best is FREE TOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!
In Germany, I joined all the free tours in the different cities I went.
Free tour in Hamburg, Germany

A tour guide will bring you around the main sites of the city itself and explain about the history, answer questions and introduce new places you can visit during your free time. Most of the free tours are usually WALKING tours (thats why its free right?) but the sights are all just a stone throw away from each other so it was not a problem at all.

Well.. its not technically free . At the end of every free walking tour, you just TIP whatever you felt was worth. You have to know that these tour guides are FREELANCE. They do not earn anything from the company who organises such free tours but instead, they have to pay a marketing fee for every person in the tour group. That is when the company will use the marketing fee to print brochures and maintain the website.
Only big cities have such free tours like Paris, Berlin, Prague, etc. You can also refer to tripadvisor to see if the city you're visiting has free walking tours.


Me, under the red/white flag 
oops, blocked the girl on the left

I enjoyed EVERY free walking tour I joined. The best has to be Berlin so far because I learnt alot about the history of Hitler.
Recommend Sandemans walking tours which are available in a few famous cities . They offer tours in different languages such as spanish, english. They do pick up service directly at a few hostels and yes, mine was one of them. PLUS POINT FOR THIS COMPANY PLEASE.

Another thing, MAPS .. MAPS MAPS. WHEN THERE ARE FREE MAPS, TAKE THEM!
Hostels usually provide city maps and they are really helpful. It will list down attractions to visit and places to eat. It gives you a very good overall of the city itself and you can start planning your journey.
I kept all the city maps I took for this trip.
You can also rely on Google maps if you have a data card overseas.

4) Wear comfortable shoes

song_of_style_camo_jacket_5
songofstyle.com
Don't ever wish that you could take a OOTD with heels in Europe like that.It never happens. Unless you have alot of money to spend on baggage, it will never happen.Wearing comfortable shoes that allows you to walk for HOURS is the biggest survival tip for travelling. Btw, break the thought of wearing slippers. Sandals might be ok if you're just going out for a short while during summer . Else, just stick to a comfortable pair of kicks.
                       

5) Get Lost
You may get lost along the way.. but ITS OKAY, don't panic.
Travel is about exploration, and some of the best exploration happens when we get lost.
In fact, getting lost is better than finding your way on the first try.
I got lost a several times but after walking for quite some time, I found myself back on track where I am heading too.
A small eatery in the hiddent streets of Salzburg, Austria

You really have to do alot of reading and research on the places that you're visiting but these 5 tips will eventually help you most of the time.
I will do a breakdown of how much my accommodation and expenses cost but it takes TIME for me to actually write a proper entry..... #lazygirl.
Otherwise, you can ask me a question on certain stuff on my ask.fm (right tab) and I will try to help you out.

SAFE TRAVELS!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Amelia, don't know if you remember me or not but I think we were primary school classmates for a bit and then you transferred out? Or not.

    Living in Europe now I think your post is more or less spot on. Especially on the free walks, most of the free walks/tours I've been on in Europe are absolutely brilliant.

    Check out my blog as well. Not so much a travel/lifestyle blog but since I recently went on holiday I have some holiday posts as well http://absoluterubbishdotorg.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/7-nights-3-cities-4-friends-madrid/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tim! I'm sorry but I am VERY BAD at remembering faces/names especially at primary 4(when i transferred) but yes thank you for reading my post! Would love to visit Spain the next round and your post makes me feel like exploring that country now!

      Delete
  2. This travel 101 is just amazing! I love its humorous take, and yet it still maintains its ‘informativeness’. My favorite tip would be the shoes. It can be the difference between a nice and comfortable stroll on the streets of Paris, or a walk through a 'bed of embers'. I hope this circulates to more jet-setters out there!

    Shaun @ AARC Host Agency

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thanks again. Hotel in frankfurt-Oder

    ReplyDelete