Wednesday 11 February 2015

Living out of your own comfort zone

Upon turning 21 in December last year, I took a huge step forward to apply for my first proper full-time job with Emirates. It was evident that I wanted to pursue a job that will enable me to travel and at the same time earn an income.

I am down to my last 1.5 weeks of the whole training and man! I must say, its been a hell of an experience. My first SUPY flight is bound to be on the 21st Feb and for the first time, I am going to give Chinese new year a miss. :-( No red packets, cny goodies and reunion dinner for me. I guess its part and parcel of the job where you will miss certain important family events in the year.

Currently, I'm living in a 3 BR apartment with 2 other senior crews. They have been very welcoming from the start and I'm honestly quite fortunate because everything has been set up (wifi). Although, it isn't the most ideal location I will choose but there's not much to fuss about. Some crews who have already started flying are still living in temporary hotel accommodations .

Here's a small summary of what I have been through:

1st week: Induction





An overall introduction of the company as a whole and the city itself. Countless number of team activities, ice breakers and administrative talks. This is when you're assigned to your batch and getting to know your batch mates better. I'm in Main fleet aka B777/A330/340. Theres the A380/B777 Fleet who will have a lot of layovers. There's pros and cons to both fleets but I shall not damper anyone's spirits in case you're intending to join. Always think on the brighter side. :-)

2nd & 3rd week: SEP (Safety emergency procedures)
One word: TOUGH
Never have I been under such immense stress to squeeze so much information within a certain number of days. Spending every night trying to revise and remember all the procedures, systems for all the aircrafts. Personally, I felt it depends on your method of studying. For me, it was manageable because it had a sense of familiarity for me as I studied Aviation Business. There was still the momentum but for some who have been away from books for almost 5 years.... It was difficult.
Towards the end, it was easier and fun with ditching activities, etc. Also, you're not alone in this, your batch mates and you will be studying together and helping each other out. Our trainers were very entertaining and humorous at the same time which made the training even more fun.




Sara and me , one of my closest batch mate.

4th Week: GMT (General Medical Training)
Before this, I had no knowledge on medical situations. With this training, I was able to perform a proper CPR and handle medical situations that happens on board including baby delivery! Assessment was similarly as difficult as SEP because we had to remember all the medications and what it is used for, where it is stored.



5th week: Security, Image & Uniform 
After the 4th week, everything onwards will be a breeze!
We had self defense classes and several security practical assessments.


Image and uniform day will be the day you start wearing your full uniform to training college. No more red abinitios shirt. Throughout the day, you'll learn about skincare and maintaining several grooming standards.

 
6-7th week: Service delivery 
I can't give you exact information just yet as I'm still in the midst of my service training. 
All I can say is that there are a lot of meticulous details to be mindful about. I'm gonna be having my first knowledge assessment later on in the day. Following up will be 3 practical assements with real food, heh the only thing I'm looking forward to! 

To end of, I've enjoyed every moment of the training, bad/good. My batch and I have been through a lot and partied a lot too. (Oops)
I'm gonna miss all of them after we are done and officially start flying! 

 Batch 2709 

Ciao.


No comments:

Post a Comment